Primal Vegetable Recipes

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Eat Your [Fresh] Vegetables!

Did you grow up eating a variety of vegetables?

I didn't, although my mom did make dinner almost every night from scratch. Most of the time we ate meat or chicken with potatoes (fried or mashed), LeSeure peas mixed with carrots, or maybe a frozen package of buttery corn. Sometimes the potatoes were boiled with green beans. But Dad didn't like vegetables much so Mom was stuck making what he would eat. I know she liked more vegetables than that. I guess we had other things for weekday meals but they really don't stand out in my mind.


Back then, it was a rare event and a big deal to go "out to eat" at Lattis Sandwich Shop on 7th Avenue  and 119th St  in Miami.  I couldn't find a picture of it, but the inside was very similar to this one in the 60s.  Once we did eat at this Wolfie's on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach.

Sometimes, after a Saturday working in the yard, Dad would go get Burger King whoppers and would be back with them by the time Mom would have the fries made. Yes, she made homemade fries while he went to get the whoppers! She would peel and slice the potatoes with her mandolin (we didn't know it was called that) and fry them in Crisco in the electric skillet.

A handful of times we ate at the International House of Pancakes (today's IHOP) -- I liked to get the Dollar Pancakes and pour on the exotic fruit syrups from the sticky little pitchers. Sometimes on Wednesdays before church when Dad was working late, Mom, my brother, and I would eat at Royal Castle with their little burgers and mugs of birch beer. And that was the extent of eating out.

a week's CSA bounty for June 2012
Now jump ahead about 50 years to last summer, and I'm coming home with a couple of bags of vegetables from the Jenny-Jack Sun Farm CSA. In the bags are all kinds of vegetables I've  never cooked, never eaten, never even heard of! Tat soi, bok choy, sunchokes, mizuna,  -- what do I do with these? I'd heard of some of the other vegetables like kale, turnips, and chard, but had no idea what to do with them.  I searched for recipes on the internet and found quite a few. A lot have ended up in the Vegetable Recipes posted on this blog. 

just-pulled beets   
Until the CSA resumes next month, I'm going to Fresh Market to buy bok choy, kale, chard, brussels sprouts, arugula, mizuna, and other organic greens. Winter vegetables, including baby bok choy, a lettuce mixture, beets, and chard, are growing in two raised beds. I've cut some of the collard leaves to cook and more leaves are growing (the first time I pulled up the whole plant, didn't realize that I should leave it and just cut the outer leaves.)

Moral of this Story?  It's never too late to start eating fresh vegetables.  The dark green leafy vegetables are so healthy for you--buy a bunch at the store (get organic if you can) and pick out a recipe to try. Wash them two or three times to get all the dirt off. I usually tear out the thick rib, (the  middle stem), it's just too tough.

Greens are particularly delicious made this easy way: Wash and tear a bunch of kale, chard, or a mixture of greens. Drain in a colander but don't spin dry, and put in a very large skillet with a tablespoon or two of olive or coconut oil. Put the lid on and let them cook on low until they wilt, stirring a few times. With kale or chard you only have to cook them about 10-15 minutes. Then drizzle a tablespoon of real maple syrup on and add about 1/4 teaspoon of powdered ginger (or grate some fresh ginger)  and some salt and pepper. Cook another minute and serve. 
-------------


Why the nostalgic look
back at growing up in
Miami in the 50s and 60s?
Probably a result of this
picture my brother
sent yesterday.
Christmas Eve 1961
I was 8 and he was 4.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good article!