Primal Vegetable Recipes

Monday, April 8, 2013

Casseroles

When I started eating the Primal diet I stopped making casseroles since most have noodles or some pasta in them. As I find recipes for casseroles  made with "primal approved" ingredients I will post them here.

Spinach Chicken Bake just
out of the oven
Spinach Chicken Bake
This is delicious following the basic recipe, next time I might try it with the extra ingredients. While dairy is not on a strict paleo diet, it is sometimes ok with the Primal Blueprint plan.
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup homemade mayonaise
1/4 Mozzarella cheese (I used fresh cheese that I sliced)
1 cup Parmesean Cheese (I used fresh grated Parmesan Reganno)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups cooked chopped chicken (bake or boil then chop)
1 10 oz package of frozen or fresh spinach* cooked, squeeze to remove a lot of the water 

Mix yogurt, mayo, Mozzarella, Parmesean, garlic powder, and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
Combine chicken and spinach, add half the cheese mixture.  Mix well. Pour the chicken mixture into a medium size greased casserole dish and smooth the top. Spread remaining cheese mixture over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Makes about 6 one-cup servings.
(modified from original recipe at sparkrecipes.com)
Optional ingredients: Add any or all: 1/2 sauteed onion, 1 can drained mushrooms, diced tomatoes, diced zucchini
*I used a pile of fresh small spinach, cooked it in a little water in a large covered skillet. The spinach was piled above the skillet but cooked down. Sorry I don't have an exact amount, maybe 8 cups or more.

No comments: